Central State CinePhotoPhono Archives of Ukraine named after H. Pshenychnyi
Director: Berkovsky Vladyslav
Deputy Director: Yemelyanova Tetyana
Deputy Director - main fund curator: Nevmerzhytska Nina
Deputy Director: Liakhotskiy Volodymyr
For the first time the issue of cine photo documents preservation was raised in Ukraine early in the 1930s. Inclusion of Ukrainian cine photo documents of history-making value into the National archival fond as well as creation of the All-Ukrainian Central Photo Archives in Kyiv was provided by the Regulation "On Unified State Archival Fond of Ukrainian SSR" (1930) and the Regulation "On Central Department for Archives, Local Archival Bodies and Institutions under the Department for Archives and Local Bodies" (1932).Within the pre-war period the Archives was located on the territory of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra (the Museum area, Building 26) occupying sew rooms, a photo documents depository and a photo laboratory.
Originally the Archives was formed through acquisition of photo documents. The first cine documents were registered in 1940. By January 1, 1941 105 330 photo negatives, 9 655 photo positives and 50 430 metrs of film were reported to be put under archival control.
When the war between Nazi Germany and the USSR broke out the archival records were not evacuated. The majority of the photo documents were transferred to the Propaganda Department (17 Prorizna st.) under the Headquarters of A. Rozenberg by the Main Working Group in Ukraine; some photo documents (241 units) were passed over to the Museum-Archives of Transition Period (Muzei-arkhiv perekhodovoi doby) at Kyiv City Administration (uprava). Later some amount of photo documents remaining at the archives depository was wrecked as a consequence of the explosions at the Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. In September - October, 1943 the archival documents were removed out of Ukraine.
After liberation of Kyiv, according to the Order of the People's Comissariat of Internal Affairs (NKVS) of Ukrainian SSR of December 1, 1943 №021 the Central State Archives of Photo Phono Cine Documents of Ukrainian SSR was reorganised. H. Pshenychnyi was appointed its Director, he had been at the head of the Archives for 35 years. In 1953-1992 it was the Central State Archives of Cine Photo Phono Documents of Ukrainian SSR. Since July, 1992 it is the Central State Cine Photo Phono Archives of Ukraine (TsDKFFA of Ukraine). In accordance with the Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of December 28, 1998 № 2088 TsDKFFA of Ukraine was named after H. Pshenychnyi.
Formation of archival document base was one of the priorities of the TsDkFFA activity.
In 1943 the Scientific Library of the Academy of Sciences of Ukrainian SSR passed the archives photo documents of the Antireligious Museum as well as of Kyiv Opera and Ballet Theatre archives. In 1946-1947 50 000 photo documents were returned to TsDKFFA from Dresden (Germany) and 17 190 photo documents from Vienna (Austria). In 1997 the Federal Archives of Germany (Koblenz) passed the archives 3278 copies of photo positives removed from Ukraine.
Within postwar period regional cinema distribution departments passed TsDKFFA German and Rumanian propagandistic documentaries and newsreels; in 1948 TsDKFFA received 126 working copies of "Radianska Ukraiina" ("The Soviet Ukraine") newsreel and 1938-1941 Ukrkinochronica ("Ukrainian newsreels") documentaries from the USSR Central State Archives of Cine Photo Phono Documents. In 1956 Central State Archives of Cine Photo Phono Documents of the USSR passed to TsDKFFA of Ukraine a number of VUFKU (All-Ukrainian Photo Cine Department) and Soiuzkinochronica ("The USSR newsreels") 19230-1936 newsreels and films. The above documents were the core of the source base for the pre-war archives which in the course of time were supplemented with the copies of Ukrainian episodes of Soiuzkinochronica newsreels.
The gradual accumulation of cine documents required their storage and preservation issues to be solved. In view of it a new three-storey building was put into operation in 24 Solomianskaia st. on January 1, 1975. The new archives premises (about 3265 sq.m) cover the depositories of cine, photo and phono documents.
The archives preserves 12 500 units of cine documents (1896-1999), among them: silent and sound documentaries, newsreels, cine and TV episodes. The earliest cine documents are presented by fragmentary episodes of Nicolas II coronation (1896), "The 200th Anniversary of Poltava Battle" (1900), "Flights of Aviator Utochkin in Kishinev" (1911), "Funeral of A. Tereshchenko" (1912). Invaluable cine chronicles of Ukrainian life of 1920s-1930s are VUFKU and Ukrkinochronica newsreels, documentaries of Kyiv Feature Films Studio, some Romanian and Czech films and episodes on Transcarpathian Ukraine as a part of pre-war Czechoslovakia. WW II cine chronicles are presented, first and foremost, by the so-called "chronicles materials", that is, shooting of Ukrainian cameramen; "Radianska Ukraiina" ("The Soviet Ukraine") newsreels (1943 - May, 1945); a number of films and the so-called "war trophies" newsreels.
The dominant subject of the first postwar decade was reconstruction and further development of the national economy, science and culture.
The cine documents, such as numerous episodes and films, highlighted all stages of the Soviet society development, such as destalinization period, the so-called "thaw", the mid-1980s "glasnost and perestroika" period, "blank spots" of the Soviet history. A number of Ukrainian documentaries are devoted to the memory of Stalin repressions victims, tragic fate of Ukrainian intelligentsia, 1986 Chornobyl disaster etc. The cine documents of independent Ukraine reflect the latest history of the state.
The TsDKFFA funds also contain about 400 000 units of photo documents (1853-2004). The earliest of them are the copies of T. Shevchenko's photo portraits, the events of Sevastopol defense during 1853-1856 Crimean War, the photo album of Kyiv pictures (the 2nd half of XIX century), the 1896 original glass negative with the image of a blast furnace construction at "Union" metallurgical plant in Makyivka.
The photo documents reflect the 1917-1921 liberation movement in Ukraine, setting the Soviet power, creation of the USSR, activities of public authorities, development of Ukrainian science and culture. More than 6 000 photo documents highlight the events of WW II. Most of the photo documents depict Ukrainian history during the previous 50 years. Contemporary Ukraine is presented by the photo documents on Declaration of Independence of Ukraine, the first Presidential elections, inauguration of L. Kravchuk, the first President of Ukraine, as well as political, public and economic life of the independent country.
More than 59 000 items of sound recordings documents (1900-2003) are preserved at TsDKFFA of Ukraine. Small but a unique collection of records produced by "Zonophone Record" ("Grammophone Joint-Stock Company, Riga"), "Stella Record", "Beka Record" and "Favourite Record" companies (Germany) in 1900-1914 is of immesurable value.
During 1970s-1980s the TsDKFFA record fond was filled up with new entries on a regular basis, mostly with "Melodiia" ("The Melody") records. Of special value are the recordings of Ukrainian opera coryphees I. Patorzhynskyi, V. Lytvynenko-Volgemut, I. Kozlovskyi, Z. Haidai, M. Hryshko and others. The majority of phono documents are magnetic recordings of documentary character.
Since 1998 TsDKFFA of Ukraine have been acquiring video documents; their number amounting to 800 items (1994-2005). The very first entries were as follows: "Visti Tyzhnia" ("News Weekly"), "Vikna" ("Windows"), "Pisliamova" ("Afterword") TV programs. Like any other non-traditional data media, the video documents reflect many-sided social, economic and cultural life of Ukraine.
Copyright © 2018 - State Archival Service of Ukraine
All rights reserved