Main page | News Archives | Archives on the Internet | Contacts | Portal Map

The State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea

Address: 3 Kechkemetskaya Str.,
Simferopol, 95050 (building 1)
1a Pavlenko Str., Simferopol, 95050 (building 2)
Tel.: +380 (652) 22-82-61
Fax: +380 (652) 22-82-61
E-mail: archive@home.cris.net
Web: daark.org.ua

Transport:Transport: trolleybus No. 5/7, 6, 13, 14
(to stop "Moskovska ploshcha"), trolleybus No 5/7, 6 (to stop "Medinstitut")
Reading room hours of operation:
M-Th 9.30am - 4pm
F 9.30am - 1pm



Director: Oleh Lobov

Deputy Director: Olga Musiyachenko

Deputy Director: Sharova Tetyana





Historical Background

The importance of archival institutions is clearly growing. Public attention to the archival documents based on many changes in state and society in recent years that have provided an opportunity to look back the past and give an objective assessment of facts and events that are reflected in the annals of the archives. The State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea counts its history by the decision of the Commissioner of Education of the Crimean Soviet Socialist Republic on May, 22, 1919 on the organization of the Crimean Central Archives (Krimtsentrarhiv). On June, 27, 1919 to November 1920 the Archives has been teaching and supporting the establishment of Tawryda University. The Archives includes documentaries archives of Tawryda provincial offices, created on February, 28, 1791, collected documentary materials of former provincial agencies.

In November, 1920 according to the decision of the Department of Education of the Crimean Revolutionary Committee Krimtsentrarhiv was restored. Since June, 1921 Krimtsentrarhiv became subordinate to the Crimean Regional Archival Department under the People's Commissariat of Education of the Crimean Autonomous Republic. On March, 18, 1922 the archival department and the archives were directly subordinate to the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, from January, 10, 1926 - the Central Executive Committee of the Crimean Autonomous Republic. On April, 21, 1926 the Central Executive Committee of the Crimean Autonomous Republic approved the "Regulations on the Crimean Central Archival Administration", by which the Crimean Archives has been divided into the Historical Archives and the Archives of the October Revolution.

On February, 4, 1939 Archive was subordinated to the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the Crimean Autonomous Republic.

According to the decree of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR from March, 29, 1941 and Circular of the Main Archival Department of the USSR People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs on April, 7, 1941 the Historical Archives and the Archives of the October Revolution were united in a single Central State Archives of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, which became the subject of the National State Archives of the People's Commissariat of Internal Ministers of the Crimean Autonomous Republic.

According to the directive of the USSR People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs on June, 30, 1941 the secret documents of the Archives, the current office of the Supreme Council and the Council of People's Commissars of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, as well as the Archives of the Crimean Regional Committee of the CPSU (B) during the war were evacuated to Tyumen, Omsk Region, and were returned in 1945. The bulk of the archival documents remained in the occupied territories. During the Nazi occupation of 1941-1944 years in Simferopol there were the Central and the Historical Archives subordinated to the cultural department of city department.

The Central State Archives of the Crimean Autonomous Republic of the Republican State Archives of the

People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the Crimean Autonomous Republic resumed its activities in the territory of the Crimea in April, 1944 after the liberation from Nazi occupation.

In June, 1945 because of the liquidation of the Crimean Autonmous Soviet Socialist Republic and formation of the Crimean region, the Central Archives was renamed into the State Archives of the Crimean Region of the Office of the Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the RSFSR on the Crimean Region.

In February, 1954 the Crimean Region became a part of the UkSSR. The Archives was renamed into the State Archives of the Crimean Region of the Archival Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Crimean Region. According to the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR on October, 4, 1958 "The system of state archives of the Soviet Union",the State Archives of the Crimean Region was renamed into the Crimean Regional State Archives.

On July, 2, 1960 the Archives were subordinated to the Executive Committee of the Crimean Regional Council of People's Deputies.

According to the Order of the State Archival Department at the Council of Ministers on August, 7, 1980 No 67 and the Order of the Archival Division of the Executive Committee of the Crimean Regional Council of People's Deputies on August, 15, 1980 No 42 the Crimean Regional State Archives was renamed into the State Archives of the Crimean Region.

In connection with the reorganization of the executive power in 1988 and the elimination of archival departments of regional executive committees, the Archival management business in the area has moved to the State Archives. Since November, 22, 1988 the Archives directly subordinated to the Executive Committee of the Crimean Regional Council of People's Deputies, and was renamed into the State Archives of the Crimean Region at the Executive Committee of the Crimean Regional Council of People's Deputies.

With the restoration in February, 1991 the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic on March, 22, 1991 the Archives was renamed to the Central State Archives (Central State Archives of the Crimea), the Council of Ministers of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, and on August, 20, 1991 - the Council of Ministers of the ARC. Based on the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic on October, 1, 1991 "On the transfer of the Archives of the Crimean Republic Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine, the Central Archives of the Council of Ministers of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic" archival collections, building, production equipment and the staff of the Archives of the Crimean Revolutionary Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine were transferred to CDA Crimea.

According to the order of the Main Archival Administration of Ukraine as of January, 6, 1995 No 3 "On the renaming of the Central Archives of the Republic of the Crimea", from January, 6, 1995 the Archives was renamed into the State Archives under the Government of the Crimea, from April, 9, 1996 - the State Archives under the Government of the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea, from October, 13, 1997 - the State Archives of the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea.

According to the Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to the Law of Ukraine "On National Archival Fund and Archival Institutions" of December, 13, 2001 No 2888III and the decision of the Council of Ministers of the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea on May, 22, 2002 No 150 "On measures to implement the resolutions of the Verkhovna Rada of Autonomous Republic of the Crimea". The Council of Ministers of the ARC approved the Regulations of the State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea. This archive has this name so far.

Total Volume of Funds

By the time of 2012, there were 6 996 funds, 1 426 260 units of storing paper documents, 4 573 units of account of film documents, 37 774 units of account of documentary photographs, 169 units of account of video documents, 597 units of account of audio documents at the State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea.

Description of Archives Holdings

The Archives also consist of documentary materials from the time of joining the Crimea to Russia (1783) till the present time. The earliest document are dating the XVI century, and preserved in the funds of the Commission, established to parse disputes over lands and to determine the duties of the Tawryda province of noble deputies meeting at the Crimean peninsula. They represent the labels of the Crimean Khans and Turkish Sultans Fermanaghes, confirming the property and estate rights of Crimean-Tatar aristocracy.

In a personal fund of the Popovs there are documents for the earlier period (1653-1920) - decrees, orders of Catherine II, the correspondence about diplomatic relations with the Crimea and Turkey, reports about the battles (1771-1773).

There are 170 labels and 64 Fermanaghes of the Crimean Khans in the State Archives in the

Autonomous Republic of the Crimea. The earliest of them are: Sahib Giray's labels (1547-1549), Muhamet Giray's labels (1578) and also Sultan Murad's III (1582) and Mehmed's IV (1671) Fermanagh.

Period up to 1917 is presented by funds of Tawryda regional and provincial government, the Office of the Governor of Tawryda, Theodosia and Kerch-Yeni-kalskyi mayors, town councils, managements, district and village administrations, police and judicial authorities, prosecutors and notaries; of birth and county offices, military and administrative and military institutions, tax, credit and customs agencies, institutions of the Ministry of the State, agriculture and forestry, transport and communications, building organizations and industrial enterprises, educational authorities, scientific and cultural institutions and organizations, institutions of spiritual authority. They reflect the political, economic and cultural life of Tawryda Region and province, the stages of development of cities and villages, the administrative and territorial changes in the composition and movement of population, the establishment of foreign colonies in the Crimea by immigrants from other countries and the consolidation of the two plots of land, distribution of land to Russian nobility, development and construction of the Southern coast, the construction of factories, the development of cat fisheries, and fisheries, horticulture, viticulture and winemaking, the events of the Crimean War (1853-1856), carrying the bourgeois reforms, opening schools, gymnasiums professional schools, medical institutions, activities in the field of historical and cultural heritage. The period of the October Revolution and the Civil War (1917-1920) was reflected in the collections of institutions of the Soviet Socialist Republic of Tawryda, the first and the second Crimean regional government, the Crimean Soviet Socialist Republic in Chief of the Armed Forces in the South of Russia. The bulk of the archival documents are the funds of the period of 1921-2007. Creation and the ruling of the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic in 1921-1941, reconstruction and development of the national economy, cultural and nation-building are covered in documents of the Crimean, county, city, district revolutionary committees of the Central Executive Committee and the Council of People's Commissars of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, the Supreme Council of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, People's Commissars, county, city, district and village executive committees, Soviets of Workers, Peasants and Soldiers Deputies, consignment organizations. They have a free performance and the five-year plans for the development of the national economy and culture of the Crimean Autonomous Republic, reviews by industry and construction, information on the study of the productive forces of the peninsula and the development of mineral resources, land use and building collective farms, conversion of All-Union health resort in the Crimea, information on the deployment of the school chain, the cultural and educational establishments, the cases of deprivation of voting rights and dispossession.

The events of the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945) were recorded in the funds of the Crimean Republic Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine, Sevastopol City Committee of Defence, the Crimean Staff of the Partisan Movement, the Crimean Commission on the history of the Great Patriotic War, the Crimean republican emergency commission on investigation of the atrocities the Nazis, Kerch and Theodosia Town Councils, rural communities and the public estates. The deportation from the Crimea in 1944 of the Crimean- Tatars, Bulgarians, Armenians, Greeks, represented by acts with the admission of the property by the special settlers and generalizing the data on his account.

A special set of documents are personal and family archives: autographs and photographs of the members of Romanov's royal family from Livadia archives, Karamzin-Mitsersky's correspondence (including the autograph of a prominent Russian historian and writer N. Karamzin), official and personal documents of Vorontsov-Dashkov, Klein-michel. The Popov's fund contains letters and dispatches of duke G. Potemkin about the settlement of the Crimea, Sevastopol building, information about the status of Tawryda, autographs of senator and poet Derzhavin, inventor Kulibin, naval commander Ushakov.

Personal archives of Professor A. Golubev and his wife, the first Russian woman - doctor of medicine N. Suslova, first director of the Nikitsky Botanical Garden K. Steven, physician F. Milgauzen, historian I. Linnichenko are interesting for researches. Among the personal funds of the origin of the Soviet period, the documents of doctor of geological sciences L. Kozin, philologist and orientalist V. Filippenko, local historian, a member of the Union of Artists of the USSR A. Polkanov, archaeologist N. Ernst deserve the attention.

Scientific and technical documentation is concentrated in the funds of Tawryda provincial drafting room, Building commission for the construction of urban theatre and apartment building of the Tawryda province of noble deputies meeting, the Theodosia's city port management, heads of sections of the Crimean distance highway, Livadia-Massandra specific control in the Crimea, the Committee on the planning of resorts in the Crimea, the Crimean branch of the design of housing and civil engineering "Krymgrazhdan-proekt" Ukrainian state Institute from orchards and vineyards "Ukrgiprosad", the main research and design institute "Krymniiproekt". They represent projects of land building and land use, building cities of the Southern coast of the Crimea, plans and drawings of individual objects.

In recent years the substantial increasing of the State Archives in the Autonomous Republic of the Crimea was replenished with 45,473 filtrated cases of the former "osterbaytery" - citizens, stolen in 1942-1944 from the Crimea to work in Germany, and 11,522 cases of citizens who had been repressed in the 1920s-1950s and rehabilitated in the prescribed manner, transferred from the General Directorate of Security Service of Ukraine in the Crimea.

In the Archives there are concentrated film-photo-audio-video materials, which reflect the socio-political, economic and cultural life of the Crimea in the newsreels and popular scientific television magazine, TV programs, sound recordings of the State Television and Radio Company of the Crimea, in the photo documents, received mainly from the editors of the Crimean newspapers, sent from agencies, enterprises sated up by an archive specialists. The Archives preserves the records of all-union song contests and festivals, parades amateur, music performed by soloists of the Crimean State Philharmonic.

Go top

Home | About Us | News | Q&A | Useful Links | Contacts