Main page | News Archives | Archives on the Internet | Contacts | Portal Map

State Archives of Dnipropetrovsk Region

Address: 89, Mykhailo Hrushevsky Str.,
Dnipro, 49069
(Building 1),
10, Prince Yaroslav Mudryi Str.,
(Building 2),
Tel.: +380(56)732-49-68
Tel./Fax: +380(56)732-49-69
E-mail: archive_dp@arch.gov.ua
E-mail: dado@adm.dp.gov.ua
Web: dp.archives.gov.ua
Transport: to Building 1:
Tram No 4, 12 (to stop "Igor Sicorsky Str.")
to the Building 2:
tram No 1 (to stop "Opera and Ballet Theatre")
Reading room hours of operation:
M-Th 10:00am - 17:00pm



Director: vacancy

Deputy Director: Legostaeva Olena





Historical Background

In the year 1920, Katerynoslav Province Archives Committee affiliated with province department of public education was founded. At the beginning of 1922 it was terminated in connection with Province Archives Board Foundation; in affiliation with the Province Archives Board on February 1, 1922, the Katerynoslav Province Archives (known as Katerynoslav Province Historic Archives since 1923) was established. On June, 10, 1925, the Province Archives Board ceased to exist; the functions were delegated to Katerynoslav (Dnipropetrovsk since 1926) Region Archives Board. As the after-effect of district extension in 1926, Dnipropetrovsk and Pavlograd Archives Boards merged into Dnipropetrovsk Region Historic Archives.

On October, 1, 1931 the Dnipropetrovsk Local Archives Board was initiated in affiliation with and under supervision of the city council. After Dnipropetrovsk region has been formed in 1932, the Archives named the State Archives of Dnipropetrovsk Region and came under supervision of Dnipropetrovsk Regional Archives Board. Within the time period of 1938–1959, the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Historic Archives was subordinated to the Archives Department of NKVD in Dnipropetrovsk region.

With the outbreak of World War II certain amount of documents and reference aids of the Archives were evacuated, out of those left behind on the occupied territory over 770 000 units for 1736–1941 period vanished. In 1943 after the liberation of Dnipropetrovsk land the Archives recommenced its work. In 1958 the Archives was renamed into the Dnipropetrovsk Regional State Archives, and in 1980 into the State Archives of Dnipropetrovsk Region, and since 1992 it has been subordinated to the Dnipropetrovsk Regional State Administration.

Total Volume of Funds

Description of Archives Holdings

The oldest manuscripts dating back to the XVIII century are preserved in the funds of Katerynoslav Boundary Office, Fiscal Chamber and in the Chambers of Civil and Criminal Courts, Province Public Prosecutor, "Verkhnya Rozprava" of Katerynoslav Regency, "Verkhnii" and "Nizhnii" Zemstvo Courts, Guardianship Office for Foreign Settlers in South Russia, Katerynoslav Fiscal Cloth Manufacture, etc. Records concerning religious institutions' activity and landownership, spiritual education, construction of churches and descriptions of church property are preserved in the funds of Katerynoslav Spiritual Consistory. Katerynoslav Spiritual Administration, Katerynoslav Preobrazhensky Cathedral. The church metrical books collection of Katerynoslav province with the records of XVIII–XX centuries deserves special notice. Records of local state governmental and administrational bodies comprise a significant part of XIX – early XX centuries funds.

The funds of Soviet times contain documents of state governmental bodies.

The funds of establishments, organizations, enterprises of World War II period make up a separate set. The Archives holds collections of records concerning economic, cultural, social and political life of Dnipropetrovsk region (1923–1998), memories of the local residents regarding Famine of 1932-1933 in Ukraine, documents concerning wealthy peasants and their families facing deportations from Dnipropetrovsk Region, records about veterans of the Great Patriotic War and memories of those involved into Afganistan War (1979-1989), etc. There are funds of personal origin with the documents belonging to the participants of revolutionary events in Katerynoslav province in 1905–1907 and 1917. As far as scientific and technical documentation is concerned, the Archives preserves scientific research papers. There are documents from the funds of province, district, region, municipal committees of the Communist Party of Ukraine and Komsomol, primary parties organizations along with komsomol organizations which reveal the truth about altering numbers of party members, "purges", repressions among communists in 30–40s of the XX century, about dissident partisan movement during the Great Patriotic War, they draw the picture of young people involved into Komsomol construction work and exploration of virgin lands, tell about industry and transport functioning, collective farms and state farms in the Region.

The following archival units were declassified and became available: photographs of members of the Social-Democratic and other parties, participants of anti-governmental riots and revolts, funds of separate establishments, organizations and enterprises operating on this territory in 1917–1941 (emergency commissions, military enlistment offices, departments of working-peasant militia and others) and during temporary Nazi occupation (editorials of district newspapers, the Dnipropetrovsk City Board, Ukrainian University, rural societies of consumers, public ownerships, district and rural boards, land societies), official newspapers distributed over the occupied territory (1941–1943), documents of Committee on the damage accounts, inflicted by Nazi invaders together with their accomplices, documents of the repatriated citizens, correspondence and letters of the citizens held in Nazi captivity, funds of the authorized councils in religious cults affairs and Russian orthodox church (1944–1965), etc.

The Security Department Board of Ukraine in Dnipropetrovsk Region contributed to the filtered cases on repatriated citizens as well as criminal cases of extra-judicial bodies on the former political prisoners, the Department of Internal Affairs in Dnipropetrovsk Region contributed judges of conviction in criminal cases of dispossession and registration cards on the deported wealthy peasants and their families.

The major part of citizens references to the Archives (over 98 %) concerns social and legal matters.

The bulk of inquiries (about 30 %) are meant to confirm dates of birth, marriage, divorce, death, nationality and religion. To answer the inquiries regarding former political prisoners, the Archives uses the registered criminal cases, preserved in the fund of the Security Department Board of Ukraine in Dnipropetrovsk region, as well as funds of Dnipropetrovsk Regional Office of Public Prosecutor, committees of Controls for labourer and peasant inspections in the Region, regional, municipal and district levels, Dnipropetrovsk Regional Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine, archive collection "Documentary materials on deported persons from Dnipropetrovsk region, their families arid special migrants".

The pre-revolution period comes to life in photo documents - reproductions of pictures originating from literature and exhibits of Dnipropetrovsk National Museum of History named after D. Yavornitsky.

Video archives mirrors social and political life, overall growth in industry, agriculture, building, education and culture in Dnipropetrovsk Region.

Among audio documents there are recordings of veterans memories, meetings with Heroes of Soviet Union, reports about celebrations of the 200th years anniversary of the cities of Kryvyi Rih (1975) and Dnipropetrovsk (1976), dedicated to Dnipropetrovsk liquidators of Chernobyl disaster (1986), artistic records of folk artists performances, soloists of the Dnipropetrovsk Opera and Ballet Theater, concerts of Symphonic orchestra of Regional Philharmonic Society (1972), scenes featuring dramatic performances (1975–1989), etc.

Go top

Home | About Us | News | Q&A | Archives on the Internet | Contacts