Director: Grynyk Igor
Deputy Director: Bilinchuk Dmytro
Deputy Director: Kharuk Lyubomir
Before 1939 there were по state archives in the Stanislaviv (known after 1962 as Ivano-Frankivsk) region. After the reunification of Western Ukraine with the USSR an archive department was created within the Ministry of Internal Affairs in the oblast of Stanislaviv, and in December 1939 the Stanislaviv Oblast State Historical Archives began operating. From 1941, it was known as the State Archives of the Oblast of Stanislaviv, from 1941 to 1980 – Stanislaviv (after 1962 – Ivano-Frankivsk) Oblast State Archives, and since 1980, it is known as the State Archives of Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast. The archive was responsible to the archive branch of the regional administration of the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of the NKVD (after 1946 – the Ministry of Internal Affairs) of Stanislaviv oblast, after 1960 to the archive department of the Executive Committee of the Stanislaviv (after 1962 – IvanoFrankivsk) Oblast People's Deputies Council, аfter1988 to the Executive Committee of the IvanoFrankivsk Oblast People's Deputies Council, and since 1995 – to the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast State Administration. The State Archives of Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast manager 19 city-regional archives (since 1992 – the archival branches of the regional state administration and city councils).
The archives preserve documents about the history of the Western Ukrainian People's Republic (ZUNR, 1918 – 1919) and about western Ukrainian territories in the Polish Rzech Pospolita (1752 – 1772), in the Austrian Empire (after 1867- Austro-Hungarian Empire) from 1772 to 1918), in Poland (1919- 1939), from periods of its temporary occupation by Russia in the First World War and by Germany in the Second World War, also as part of the Stanislaviv (Ivano-Frankivsk) Oblast after the reunification of Western Ukraine with the USSR (1939 – 1991), as well as а part of independent Ukraine (1991- 2006). Among the archive's sources are many documents on the history of not only the Ukrainian nation, but also the representatives of other nationalities that lived in the lands of Western Ukraine.
Documents on the history of the Western Ukrainian People's Republic (ZUNR) are situated in separate funds for that period – those of the Chief Command of the Ukrainian Army of Halychyna, in the collection of documents on the history of the education, and also in other funds and in the library of the archives. As well, archive contains the fund of the Administration of the Commander in Chief of the Ukrainian People's Republic (UNR) Army.
Sources in the so-called social block, including the funds of courts, prosecution, police, 25 funds of Ukrainian, 44 Polish and 1 Jewish social organizations shed light upon the social and political state of the region. Among the documents of this block there are an extensive number of sources about the history of the Ukrainian national liberation movement.
Pre-1939 governing bodies and authorities are represented by the funds of the supreme authority in the Polish Voievodstvo – the Stanislaviv Voievodstvo administration (1921 – 1939), povit administration operating in the Austrian and Polish periods (1893 – 1939) and governing bodies of the temporary Russian occupation during World War One.
The police funds include the block of police organizations of the First World War and Polish periods, among them the Stanislaviv Voievodstvo police administration, 13 district police administrations, Stanislaviv city police station and police offices. Judicial matters are represented in the funds of the Shliakhta (noblemen) court in Stanislaviv (1792 – 1856), 2 magistrate courts (1790 – 1867), 9 Dominican courts (1830 – 1855), the Stanislaviv and Kolomyia district courts (1879 – 1939), 18 local courts (1877 – 1939) and 25 city courts (1928 – 1939), the Stanislaviv city public prosecuting attorney office of the Austrian period (1863-1918), 3 prosecution offices of the district courts in the Polish period, 32 funds of the defending attorneys (1907 – 1939) and 18 funds of public notaries (1873 – 1939). Among this block of funds, beside materials dealing with criminal matters, there are legal documents about the resolving of problems concerning property and family relations, genealogic documents, etc.
The funds of self-governing bodies include documents of the Temporary department of self-government in Lviv (1920 – 1927), povit departments (1884 – 1913, 1919 – 1939) and various city and village communities, magistrates, and gmina administrations.
Information on the state of industry, agriculture, trade, banking, agrarian relations, processes of land division agreements, decisions on land ownership, on strike movements, unemployment, and population migration is fund in the documents of 67 institutions representing almost every aspect of economy.
Sources on the history of education are contained either in the funds of educational administrations – the Stanislaviv and Kolomyia school inspectorates (1908 – 1939), 4 district school councils (1881-1933), and the state examination commission for approval of primary schoolteachers, or in the funds of educational institutions – 9 teachers' seminaries (1873 – 1938), 26 gimnaziias (high schools) of 1785-1939, 2 lyceums (1913, 1939), and 53 public schools (1861 – 1939).
The funds of religious institutions are among the most ancient sources in the archive. Among them there is a collection of church birth registers from (eastern rite) churches, Roman Catholic churches and synagogues of the Stanislaviv Voievodstvo (1752 – 1938), documents of the Kolomyia Roman Catholic Deanery (1769 – 1938) and the Stanislaviv Greek Catholic Consistory (1788 – 1944). As well, the archives also have separate funds from the Stanislaviv, Kolomyia, Zabolotiv, Kniahynyn, Otynia, and Tlumach Jewish religious communities.
In 2005, the «Collection of informational; materials for the population» was created. It includes 495 posters, announcements, wall gazettes and other propagandistic material from 1875 – 1944.
A group of funds from the period of Nazi occupation of Stanislaviv Oblast (1941 – 1944) sheds light on the enterprises, establishments and organizations that operated during that period, and includes collections of documents issued during the Second World War, and those of the review processes of citizens that returned from compulsory work in Germany, and criminal proceedings of rehabilitated persons.
The funds of the Soviet period include the documents of local authorities, justice, court and prosecution institutions, election commissions for the elections to the Supreme Councils of the USSR and the Soviet Ukrainian Socialist Republic, local councils of people's deputies; also, of organizations, economic enterprises (industry, agriculture, finance, trade, consumers' cooperation, municipal economy, transport, communication, and institutions of statistical and state review), cultural and educational establishments, health care institutions and hospitals, social security establishments and social organizations. The most important among them are the funds of executive committees of the oblast, regional, city, village and hamlet Councils of people's deputies.
Information about the religious situation in the region is found in documents of the representatives of the Council of religious cult affairs and the Council of the Orthodox Church affairs to the Council of Ministers of the USSR in Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast.
Funds of community organizations (1939 – 1991) were transferred o the archive in 1991 from the .archives of Ivano-Frankivsk regional committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine. Most of these are documents of regional, district and city committees of the Communist Party of Ukraine, and communist youth organizations (Komsomol). The fund of the Oblast committee of the CPU is a major resource for researching the history of the Oblast during the Soviet period, because its documents provide the most complete impression of the party's policy toward Western Ukrainian lands: the struggle against the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN) and Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA), mass deportations of the population, the confiscation of village property, compulsory collectivization, compulsory grain gathering campaigns, the complex socio-political processes of 1989 through the 1990s, etc.
The archives preserve also the personal funds of S. Paslavsky, V. Hrabovetsky, Y. Melnychuk, V. Moroziuk, P. Trybun, O. Svietlanov, K. Kohutiak, of the first archivists, and others.
Copyright © 2017 - State Archival Service of Ukraine
All rights reserved